Summer Tips for Protecting Your Skin
With the warmer weather of summer, it’s time to get outside and enjoy the sun! However, something we all have to be aware of is the damage that the sun’s UV rays can cause to our skin. Fortunately, that doesn’t mean we have to cancel that summer trip to the beach. Follow theses 6 skin health tips to keep your skin healthy and looking and feeling great:
- Sunscreen: The importance of sunscreen can never be overstressed. Skin cancer becomes a major concern during the summer for many because of extra exposure to sunlight. Using a sunscreen with an SPF 20 can help protect against sunburn and cancer-causing UVB rays. Also, don’t skimp! You need about an ounce of sunscreen to adequately cover your body.
- Green Tea: You probably know that green tea has many health benefits, such as helping lower the chances of heart disease. When it comes to your skin, in some cases, the antioxidants in green tea have been found to repair damaged DNA and boost your immune system. This is particularly helpful when dealing with damaged skin from the sun.
- Hydration: With the hotter days and more activity in the sun, you can become dehydrated quickly. Making sure you’re drinking enough water is helpful for the skin, too. By drinking 5 to 8 glasses of water daily, you’re moisturizing your skin from the inside out. You’re also helping your skin maintain its elasticity and decreasing dryness.
- Care for Your Eyes, Too: In the same way that you need to protect your skin from UVA and UVB rays from the sun, your eyes also need protection. Try to find sunglasses that block out 99% of UVA and UVB rays. This will not only help prevent cataracts, it will also help prevent wrinkles around the eyes.
- Exfoliate: By exfoliating twice a week, you can help your body by keeping your skin clean and smooth. Because of increased perspiration during the summer, you will accumulate dead skin cells more quickly. By exfoliating, you remove these skin cells and allow lotions and moisturizers to penetrate deeper into your skin.
- Lip Balm: Your lips can also dry out and crack more during the summer months. Choose a sun protective, broad spectrum, lip balm to keep your lips safe from the sun’s harmful rays, to avoid dryness, and to have a great look.
Maintaining your health and beauty all summer long go hand in hand. With these tips you’ll be able to get out and enjoy the warm weather, while still caring for your body.
When it comes to summer, you know all about the dangers of overexposure to the sun. However, that is all easily prevented by taking care of your body. You already know that actions like drinking plenty of water and exfoliating are simple beauty tips for your skin, but now you know they can also help maintain your skin’s health!