5 Skincare Mistakes that Age Your Skin
Between smoking and sunbathing, you know that sometimes we are our own worst enemy when it comes to skincare. Even those who know plenty about skincare can make mistakes that inadvertently age our skin. For the best complexion possible, avoid these five skincare mistakes that can age your skin:
1. Being too rough with your face. Whether it’s pulling on the side of your eyes while applying eyeliner or rubbing your face dry with a towel, treating the skin roughly can cause premature wrinkles and sagging. Always be gentle when applying makeup, and pat—don’t rub—skin dry.
2. Over-exfoliating. This is a mistake that happens to even the most ardent skincare junkies. Over-exfoliating can cause irritation and inflammation, leading to premature aging in the long run. How often you need to exfoliate largely depends on skin type.
3. Failing to wear sunscreen after a certain age. Many women past a certain age stop wearing sunscreen every day, assuming that UV damage was sustained in their 20s. However, UV damage continues to impact the way our skin looks our entire lives, so it’s best to continue wearing sunscreen throughout your life to prevent more wrinkles from forming.
4. Using a harsh cleanser. Most skin types require only a gentle cleanser to remove makeup. Using a harsh cleanser can over dry the skin, and dryness is a major factor in aging skin. Our skin tends to lose moisture as we age anyway, so be sure not to over-dry it using a cleanser that’s too harsh for your skin type.
5. Not giving your products enough time to work. It can feel disappointing when an anti-aging product doesn’t change our skin within a week or two, but it often takes a month or more for anti-aging products, such as retinol, to produce visible results on the skin. Wait at least six weeks to see change, unless the product is causing an adverse reaction.
For physician-grade anti-aging products and skincare services like laser resurfacing, chemical peels and microdermabrasion, work with the skincare experts at AlluraDerm MD Med Spa in Albuquerque, New Mexico. We’ll get to the bottom of your skin issues fast, providing a personalized skincare routine that leaves you with gorgeous, glowing skin!