Interesting Skin Facts
Did you know that skin is the largest organ in the body? It’s the largest and one of the most underrated in terms of its importance to our health.
Skin is just as important as our vital organs—the liver, the brain, the heart. Skin protects our bodies, helps us maintain body temperature and, of course, provides our sense of touch.
Facts about skin you may never have heard:
What’s in Skin?
- Your skin contains 45 miles of nerves and 11 miles of blood vessels.
- Your skin sweats up to 3 gallons per day.
- Your skin contains three million sweat glands!
- Detoxification occurs via the sweat glands.
- The skin weighs about 8 pounds.
Skin Renewal Process
- Your skin loses 30,000 to 40,000 dead skin cells almost every minute.
- Your skin sheds a layer of dead cells every 24 hours.
- Your skin renews itself every 28 days. As we age, skin takes longer to renew. That’s why we exfoliate and supplement our skin’s renewal process with microdermabrasion, dermaplaning and peels.
- Globally, dead skin cells make up a billion tons of dust in the atmosphere, and 90% of household dust is dead skin cells.
Skincare & Aging
We’re serious about skincare at AlluraDerm MD Med Spa. Throughout the five years we’ve been around, we’ve seen thousands of patients, all with different skin concerns. If you would like to improve your skin, we can help. Call us at 505-821-9630 to set up a free consultation at our office.