You’ve heard the world “exfoliation,” but do you know the importance of regular exfoliation? Much like washing your face, exfoliation helps rid your skin of dirt, oil, and pollution residue, all things that acne-causing bacteria consume. But exfoliation also removes the dead skin cells that can plug up your pores and cause a dull, patchy complexion.
For Young Skin
Younger skin has more resilience than mature skin. While “gentle” is still the keyword here, those with younger skin can handle slightly more abrasive exfoliants.
- After cleansing your face with a mild cleanser, apply the exfoliant in a gentle, circular motion, then rinse off with warm water.
- There is no hard and fast rule for how often to use an exfoliant, but using an exfoliant too much can harm your skin. The general rule is, the coarser the exfoliant, the less often you use it; a coarse exfoliant should only be used one a week.
- Chemical exfoliants (peels) and microdermabrasion can help reduce acne flare-ups and fight the skin damage that leads to visible signs of aging.
AlluraDerm Med Spa offers Parisian Peel® Medical Microdermabrasion, a gentle yet intense half-hour exfoliation process that softens the skin and allows more beneficial nutrients to be absorbed.
For Mature Skin
Exfoliation is important at every age, but because mature skin lacks the resiliency of younger skin, the exfoliation process is a little different. Exfoliation for mature skin requires a gentler touch and products that are less harsh.
- Lightly dry brush your skin for 15 minutes every day — it’s one of the most effective and gentlest ways to exfoliate mature skin. Dry brushing also helps tone and firm your skin, and helps remove toxins from the body by stimulating the lymphatic system. Use a loofah, a dry brush, or exfoliating gloves.
- Use a chemical exfoliant like a chemical peel often. A chemical exfoliant will remove the surface layer of skin to reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles, promote skin regeneration, and restore that youthful glow.
- A clay mask can help remedy age-related dryness and also help firm your skin.
Whether your skin is young or mature, microdermabrasion is a stronger form of exfoliation that should be done periodically to avoid signs of aging. Microdermabrasion removes the outer layer of skin, the layer where skin imperfections like fine lines, wrinkles, and acne blemishes occur.
Additionally, Vitalize Peel® by SkinMedica® is a gentle and effective peel for skin of all ages that fights the effects of time, sun and environmental damage. The Vitalize Peel® has also been shown to improve acneic skin and improve the look of skin with hyperpigmentation and Melasma. Call us at 505-821-9630 to set up a consultation today.